Thursday, March 5, 2009

Letter's by Lexi

I bought some flash cards for Lexi with letters on them. I want to start having her recognize sounds and be able to identify letter so that she can have a head start on reading. As we are going through the letters I am explaining lower case an upper case letters, each flash card has both...we get to the letter B it has a picture of a baby on it and then the letters B b.
I ask Lexi "what letter is this"
she replies:
"it has a big B and an upside down P" she pauses and says "B-p is for baby". I try to explain that the "upside down P" is a little b at which point she turns the card upside down to show me that it is a P, we ran into the same problem with the little n being a u and the d being backward, she was also quite sure the the V was missing a line (funny side note she calls lines lions...) and it too was upside down.
This makes me wonder who on earth though up the alphabet and why the letters cannot be more distinct, it also makes me wonder why some letters such as:
S s & X x & C c
truly look like a larger and smaller version yet letters like

R r & Q q & G g
are so different, and really what is the point of have upper case and lower case letter?? Wouldn't it just be easier to have one or the other? After all we use spaces and punctuation marks to start and end sentences and wouldn't the second grade go by a lot quicker with out a proper noun chapter?

1 comment:

Tammy said...

This child is soooo smart. What fun she is :). She will keep you on your toes.